In the heart of Milan there is a little jewel, shining for its collections and texts of history of our city and Province: the Isimbardi Library, located in the historical seat of the already Province of Milan, now "Metropolitan City of Milan".
The first news of the Library should be traced back to the family Isimbardi who in 1775 bought the building from Lambertenghi; with Gian Pietro Isimbardi Camillo, who held political offices in Napoleon’s Milan, the palace became a centre of studies and scientific collections, a part of this collections are preserved in the current heritage of the Isimbardi Library. In particular: the Histoire Naturelle (enciclopedic work composed of 36 volumes published in France between 1979 and 1789, dedicated to natural history) of George Louis Leclerc known as Count Buffon, and the Dictionary of Natural Sciences (work composed of 30 volumes) written by famous naturalists of the main schools of Paris of the time and published since 1830. It represents one of the most extensive scientific collections published in Italy in the Nineteenth century.
Next to the library, rich of literary and scientific works, were set up a cabinet of mineralogy, a collection of nautical instruments and charts for navigation.
A notice of the existence of the Library is contained in a precious book of 1872 "Essay of the works of Leonardo da Vinci" copy no. 120 of 300 specimens, in which there is a handwritten dedication “To the Library of the Province”.
The Library is today a cultural reference point of Milan and the Lombardy region, in continuity with its tradition and evolution, compared to the features of the Institution.
(The Isimbardi Library in the historical seat)